Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Deer Hunt

by Brad Evans

Kannon shot his buck right before dark on Friday, Oct 29. We had just set up camp and decided to hunt an area close to camp because it was getting late. We did a little walk-about and spotted this buck feeding up a side-hill about 600 yards away. We stalked to within 300 yards and decided we couldn't get any closer without spooking the buck, so we set Kannon up for a shot. Luckily we had decided to pack the 300 Win Mag that night instead of Kannon's 243. With the bipod down and in the prone position, Kannon let one rip, and knocked the Big Buck down with one great shot. Way to go Kannon!!! We were both super excited. We ended up leaving the buck in the hills that night because it got dark on us, so we came back early the next morning and packed him out. Kannon's buck was a 27 inch 4x4.



I shot my buck in Utah three days before Kannon shot his, and only a short 8 miles between where the two bucks were shot. I was hunting with Steve Staheli, and we found this area that nobody had been in. We ended up finding quite a few deer, and I ended up glassing this buck up at 1:00 in the afternoon. He was chasing does, so I was able to stalk to within 200 yards of Him, and one shot later it was all over. My buck was a 29 inch 3x3. We were almost 2 miles from the nearest road so we had to pack him out. This is the biggest buck I have ever killed in Utah.












No comments: