Ha! What a week. It has been week full of frustration and anger, but more importantly it has been been a week of humbling experiences and blessings.
The language has been getting easier! I can make small conversation with people, ask a lot of questions, and talk about some gospel topics. I'm not gonna lie though, it's hard. Probably one of the hardest things I've done. It's frustrating at times, because as a missionary you just want to pour your heart out, but there's a language barrier. But I know with hard work, diligence, and most importantly faith and prayer, then over time (hopefully sooner rather than later) I'll be able to speak Spanish like it's my first language. The gift of tongues is real and I am seeing it greatly while I'm here.
We have an investigator name Raul, he is from Ecuador, living in Provo and studying English at BYU. So if there is a non-member that goes to BYU he is going to meet with the missionaries sooner or later. Luckily, those missionaries happen to be my companion and I! It's tough, because he doesn't seem to get the idea that we have only been speaking spanish for a week, but it's taught me just how much work and how much faith I need to have in order to learn the language. Our lesson yesterday, we were teaching him about the apostasy and the restoration, he had a question, and he spoke spanish at a million miles per hour. We didn't understand anything he was saying, so he was talking for about 45 minutes straight. I wanted to say something, but I've only been speaking for a week, so my companion and I just nodded our heads and said "Si!" after about every single phrase. It was a humbling experience. Ether 12:27 “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them”. I know that this is just a stepping stone for me for something so much greater, and I am going to use these experiences for the rest of my life. Through faith and obedience, I know these weaknesses will become strong and I will be able to use them to bring other people unto Christ.
I love you all!
Elder Evans
No comments:
Post a Comment