Monday, October 5, 2015

Mushrooms, mice, and lots of old men


This week has been pretty normal but it has been raining a lot the past couple days which is awesome! ("A lot"...haha) something I have noticed about Arizona: it is filled with crazy drivers and not a single one of them knows how to drive in the rain. I shudder when I think of what would happen were it ever to snow here. They're all insane.

We were having dinner this week with this cute little old lady. She fed us this enchilada dip that was okay but tasted kind of weird. I wasn't a huge fan. But then she started talking about how she made it and it was totally LOADED with mushrooms. I thought I was going to spew all over her table. It was awful and my companion was just looking at me and silently shaking with laughter. After dinner, the lady said she always gives missionaries some of her Knick knacks so they can remember her so she practically forced me to take this little brass mouse that has a "made in Korea" sticker on it. She was so excited that now I have a "real Korean brass" mouse. I'll send you a picture because it's kind of creepy. I kind of love it for that reason.


Sooooo general conference happened! Everyone told me I was going to love it as a missionary and I didn't fully believe them but they were totally right! It was awesome! This sounds bad but I think I can honestly say it was the first time in my life where I actually soaked up meaning from every single talk. I think it helped that I was watching it with investigators though.

No offense to everyone out there that thinks they are special but all of the general conference talks this time were specifically aimed at the missionaries in the Arizona Phoenix Mission. Remember how I talked about mission tour a couple weeks ago? Yeah, we had awesome front row training with Elders Bradley Foster and Hugo Montoya. And who spoke at conference? Yeah. Both of them. Also, a bunch of people quoted our transfer scripture! Every transfer, our president picks a scripture that we have to memorize and this time it was Alma 7:12. Not only that but we have 3 investigators who are getting baptized and have a hard time with testimonies of living prophets and apostles and how they are chosen. What a perfect conference to watch! D. Todd Christofferson's talk was perfect for the people we were watching it with too.

Anyway, conference was great and I got to do a lot of sitting, eating, and watching tv. So that was good. Although I had a really hard time watching President Monson give his talk. He was having such a hard time and I've never heard him rush a talk like that. Poor guy. We don't have a lot of time left with him, I think. On the bright side, I think the new apostles are pretty bomb. Rasband is probably my favorite new one but it's funny because I think Renlund looks and talks like John Malkovich. I thought it was funny and told my roommates but of course they didn't get it because they don't know who John Malkovich is. So I laughed to myself.

So overall, it was good week. Things are moving forward still but it's starting to slow down a little bit. I don't even care though because it's still moving forward and all the high temperatures this week are under 100. So I'm good!

No comments: